Saturday, June 26, 2010

This morning's ride

Drove the bike down the hill to Randy's office and rode it for 6 miles on flat. I gathered a little bit of confidence with how the bike will handle with a little bit of speed and practiced manipulating the pedals with the clips attached. There was about a mile where I ONLY pulled instead of pushing on the pedals, which is retraining my feet and my mind that it's not going to lift the feet off the pedals to "pull" on them, and truly, pulling is so much easier than pushing. I am able to get pretty good speed when I pull only - now when I am actively pushing AND pulling, it's going to be amazing, because it will work the quads and the hamstrings equally instead of mostly just the quads.

Tomorrow I am thinking ride the bike down the hill to the office & have Randy meet me at the bottom. I can get 10 miles in on a mostly downhill stretch and not have to worry about the clips so much if I do it that way - the way I would go has a really good bike lane & few cars, so I wouldn't be so nervous about the ramifications if I WERE to slip on gravel or other hazards. There is a lot of construction around our house, so that makes me VERY nervous with my razor-thin tires. I'm afraid I got much too used to the wide tires of a mountain bike/hybrid.

Will write again tomorrow!

No comments: