Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More gay marriage stuff

I got another e-mail late last night from a friend in California telling why I should vote against the gay marriage initiative again. (I voted against it the first time, but have moved since the Supreme Court ruled against the voter's rights.)

Please realize that while there are numerous reasons cited in the e-mail, they didn't cover the main reason I voted against it. I had a friend specifically ask me if I felt threatened by the gay marriage initiative, and I told her right out - no, I don't feel threatened, nor do I feel it threatens my marriage.

Why I did vote against the gay marriage initiative is because I think it gives people justification for making a choice that I believe is wrong. I believe that who you fall in love with is a choice, not a magical mystical thing that happens. You choose, regardless of DNA. And like any choice, it comes with consequences. The Gay Marriage initiative removes the consequences for having made that choice. That is what I have a problem with - the seeming removal of consequence. To me, if you make the choice to be "partnered" with someone of the same sex, you should know the "consequence" of your actions is that your future choices are going to be limited.

I personally think that part of the problem is the entitlement factor. We seem to think that we are entitled to the same as everybody else, when that is neither what the Constitution says nor is it what it implies. It says life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That anyone is given health insurance through work is a benefit, not a right. That one's loved ones are added on to that insurance is a benefit, not a right. If you want insurance for your spouse, then either pay for it or find a job with that benefit. If you want insurance for your dog, then either pay for it or find a job with that benefit. If you want insurance for your prized gold fish, then either pay for it or find a job with that benefit. If you can't find a job that has that benefit, then your choices are limited. That isn't unconstitutional, that is life. When I wanted life insurance, I bought it independent of Randy's work. He has an "independent" policy as well. Health insurance is more expensive independent of work FOR A REASON - because one's work helps pay for it as a benefit of working there. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE LOWER BENEFITS, THEN DON'T WORK THERE ANY MORE! Insurance companies already cover "domestic partners", and even "life partners". If yours doesn't, then perhaps you should realize that insurance ISN'T A RIGHT, IT IS A BENEFIT!!!!

Enough rant. I am far from perfect, and I make choices I am not proud of, for sure. But when I repent of the choices I make that are mistakes, I "make it right" by fixing it as much as I can instead of "making it right" by changing the rules.

3 comments:

dan said...

I saw an interesting documentary on PBS on this general subject called "Anyone and Everyone".

It consists of interviews w/ 10 families w/ gay children. Here are some articles by the mormon parents:

A Mother's Story
A Letter to President Bush

hawkpete said...

All I mean to be saying is that making something legal doesn't make it right. And when you make something people believe to be wrong legal, it removes some of the rights of those who believe it is wrong. So unless they make more laws to make it so that those who believe that it is wrong still have their rights to believe that, then they shouldn't make it legal in the first place.

The letter and the story are touching, to be sure, but regardless of the parent's religion or political affiliation, they simply love their son. Their sentiment is great and wonderful, but (I think) misguided. I am not saying they shouldn't love their son. They absolutely should, regardless of the son's choices. But I don't agree that they have to love everything he does. There is - in my opinion - a middle ground that says, "I love you, but I don't love what you do."

Diana said...

Thank you for clearly expressing some of the thoughts that I have on the subject. A lot of problems in life could be avoided if people did not think that life owed them. Just because a person was born does not entitle them to much of anything, yet so many do not understand that concept.