Sunday, April 6, 2008

What I think I will do with my blog

I kind of like the idea now of blogging what we eat for dinner. I am thinking that with the changes we are putting into place with my family's lifestyle, what I will do is put how things are going, both in progressing on the changes, and what we are doing in conjunction with those changes.

Today we decided that we will take this week and determine if the commuting & Randy being gone for the week days is going to work. So on Monday we will get up early in the morning and I will drop him off at work early in the morning. When he comes home in the evening, he will sleep in the guest room and the kids and I will already be asleep, most likely. We will talk to him daily on the phone at the office, and then I will pick him up on Friday late. This hopefully will help us figure out if it will actually work for us or if it is more work than it is worth.

Anyway, I suspect we will drop off the car at the office tomorrow night and leave it in the parking garage overnight so that we aren't driving 2 cars. The nice thing about "commuting" on Monday mornings and Friday evenings is that when I am going with traffic, I will be able to take the carpool lane, which makes it a whole lot faster. By the time I am dropping Randy off & only have one person, I am going the other way, on a much less congested side of the highway.

We sat around this afternoon and played Phase 10 while d'Artagnan was gone. It was kind of fun to just have nothing to "do" but play. She showed us her Color Guard routine, and that was fun to watch. She is getting much more relaxed about it and more able to let it "flow".

Will write again soon!

Jill

2 comments:

dan said...

so you can't afford to live in California?
not sure what you're trying to accomplish - more bang for your buck? the jet-set lifestyle?
I don't know all the reasoning but to me it sounds like one of those fantasy ideas that looks good on paper and maybe even sounds cool but is actually pretty dumb, like the summer I lived in my car.

hawkpete said...

We can afford to live here on the pay that Randy is making. It's not about the money.

It's not about the jet-set lifestyle, because Randy is the only one who would be travelling regularly.

It is a mixture of several reasons: I don't feel like Southern California is a good fit for us as a family. Randy's job is great, but while we are enjoying things about it here, it is very much a vacation atmosphere, and I don't like to be on vacation all the time. It starts to get boring.

I don't like what the kids are learning here - both in school and outside of school. Here they are learning that being "normal" is not actually normal, and they need to be diagnosed with something to define who they are and how they will act.

Also, they are learning that being slothful is the way to be. I don't think it is a good idea to allow them to grow up into non-productive adults. The landlord pays for lawn care here, and there is not much that they are required to do. Being responsible for their welfare and how they live their lives is a daunting task, and when I look at what they are learning in the society that we are currently in, I want us out. Randy is able to do the commute, and the property and area we will be moving to will require less entertainment time and more work time. This will help us all to become less bored and more productive. The more I teach them that work, and HARD work is its own reward, the better, and it is nearly impossible to give them HARD work here, because there is little that isn't already done for them, either paid for by the landlord or by the state. We don't have the room in the yard to plant a garden. We have very little to do around the house.

We really have taken into account that it may seem like a good idea "on paper" which is why we are trying it for a week to see if it is even really a decent idea or if it wouldn't work nearly as well as we think. Thanks for the insight, however! I will keep it in mind while we are going through our trial week.