Friday, September 14, 2007

Do Not Call Registry

I got on the Do Not Call Registry today. I made sure it was okay with my husband first, who manages a team of telemarketers. This is a synopsis of the phone call that broke the camel's back.

Caller: Allo, eez this Peterson?
Me: This is Mrs. Peterson.
Caller: Allo, Mrs. dar-tug-nane Peterson, my nam eez (who cares what) colling from (who cares where). dar-tug-nane signed up own-line far eenformateon about how to get heez bachelors or masters degree een just three hours a week working at home on your computer. How doze that sound to you?
Me: d'Artagnan is 10, so that probably won't work.
Caller: He can do this from home when he is not at work. That is the beauty of it! Where can I send the materials? (hard to spell out the accent at this point, so I will just put the words, you do the accent in your head)
Me: No, sir, he is ten years old, so he isn't ready to try to get his bachelors degree.
Caller: Well, if he has his bachelors already, he can get his Masters degree, how does that sound?
Me: Sir, he is ten years old. He hasn't finished elementary school.
Caller: I don't understand why you don't want your husband to finish his degree from home.
Me: Sir, d'Artagnan is my son, and he is 10. He hasn't graduated from High School yet, so he can't do college yet.
Caller: I see. Would you like to finish your degree in just 3 hours a week at home on your computer?
Me: What fields of study are available?
Caller: We have degrees in business, business management, health service professionals, blah blah blah.
Me: I have no interest in any of those fields.
Caller: Don't you want to further your education so that you can go on to a different career?
Me: I am an at-home mom. I don't have a career.
Caller: But you must work.
Me: Well, certainly I work on keeping my house clean and raising my children, but I don't have a job.
Caller: Everybody has a job, so you are a maid? You should get your degree online so that you can not have to clean house for your job.
Me: I don't have a paying job that takes me away from home or my children. A degree in ANYTHING would not change my job.
Caller: I don't think you understand me. (the first thing he had right since the beginning of the call) I am telling you that you can get your bachelors or masters degree in just 3 hours a week. Why doesn't this sound like a good deal to you?
Me: I have neither interest nor desire to have a bachelors or masters degree in any of the fields of study which you stated that you have.
Caller: You do not wish to be a better businesswoman?
Me: I think I would need to BE a businesswoman before I could be a BETTER businesswoman, don't you think?
Caller: You are not a businesswoman?
Me: No.
Caller: What do you do?
Me: I am a mom.
Caller: For your job?
Me: I am a mom.
Caller: What do you do when you are not a mom?
Me: I am always a mom, I have no other employment, I have no desire to further my education online via your company or any other company.
Caller: I do not understand.
Me: Do you understand NO?
Caller: Yes.
Me: I am saying no.
Caller: Thank you, have a nice day!
Me: Bye.

1 comment:

Renee Hawkley said...

I'm missing Curt's most hilarious comment of his life right now.